Tuesday, June 26, 2007

recent reads and other randomness

Hey :) Haven't updated in a while, because nothing has really gone on. The weather's been hot and nasty, though. Eww. I did some shopping yesterday, because Savers had a 50% off everything sale. I got a Billy Joel shirt (that brings my total of Billy shirts up to...25? hahaha), John Saul's most recent book, a Carl Hiaasen book, and a few other things I don't need.

Speaking of books, I've finished quite a few in the past week. The best/worst thing about working in a library is all of the books I find to read. I finished up the most recent in the Georgia Nicolson series by Louise Rennison, they're quite funny.

I also finished Strip Tease and Basket Case, both by Carl Hiaasen. He's such an awesome author. His books are really funny but they totally suck you in! I discovered him through Warren Zevon, actually. They were close friends for years, and Hiaasen co-wrote some of Warren's songs, such as "Basket Case", which was used in the book as the biggest hit by the rock star character. I started out with Skinny Dip, the book dedicated to Warren after his death (he came up with the title). But I can't stop reading his books, they're addictive! I highly recommend anything by him.

Just today I finished Peter Abrahams's new novel Nerve Damage. Sooooo good. He was really nice when I met him earlier this month at the RILA conference, so I started reading his stuff and he's great. Stephen King (my second-favorite author) says Abrahams is his favorite American suspense novelist. So if King likes him, I had to check him out. And he really is an awesome writer. I'd recommend Nerve Damage to anyone like me who's a fan of King, Koontz, or Saul. Also check out Oblivion. I haven't finished it yet but I'm in the middle and it's pretty damn awesome!

Enough ranting about reading. I'm an immense nerd.

On the music side of things, I've been really into Everclear lately. I've always liked them but I got the urge to download more of their stuff and they're really awesome. Art Alexakis is gorgeous (I can't believe he's acting in a crappy Disney Channel show now). I think my favorite songs are still "AM Radio" and "Wonderful", but I'm really liking "Now That It's Over" and "Unemployed Boyfriend" too.

Off to update my GJ and LJ, so goodbye for now :)

<3 Eliza

Edit: I IMDB'd Art Alexakis and am relieved to find out that he was only in one episode of a crappy Disney Channel show, and it was a small part. But how weird is it that I happened to flip by the other day and he was on? Weirdness!

2 comments:

Octopusouphut said...

Everclear is a pretty cool band. Whenever one of their songs plays randomly on my iPod though, John will say something like, "Oh, it's Everclear's One Song," 'cause he thinks that most, if not all, of their songs sound the same.

I personally love A.M. Radio and Unemployed Boyfriend. I also really like their cover of Brown Eyed Girl.

The Mistress of the Dark said...

I think I have 7 Moody Blues t-shirts.